Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Few Crochet Projects

Yes, yes, yes! It is beautiful outside. Elle and I even took a walk today. She needed some fresh air after being cooped up this winter and covered in layers and layers every time we left the house. This kind of weather change rejuvenates and motivates me to get moving. It's funny how during those cold and dreary winter months you have to motivate yourself to do even the simplest tasks. Now, I know this weather is too good to be true for February in Chicago, so I am going to take advantage of it while I can.
Lately, I have been working on a couple of crochet projects. I'm a book taught crocheter so I'm kind of figuring out the patterns as I go. The first item I finished is a dress/top for Elle.

I say dress/top, because I actually started this when I was still pregnant, and if I remember correctly, I used the pattern for a 3-6 month baby and I'm not sure if it will fit her now as a dress or as a top with leggings or pants underneath. Anyways, I dug it out of my yarn box and finished it up. I got the pattern from a book that has many adorable baby items. I decided to try some other projects from the book, but I kept getting frustrated with the pattern directions. I assumed that I was just wasn't familiar with the techniques and went online to see if anyone had advice for creating the projects in this particular book. To my surprise I came across review after review stating that many of the patterns were incorrect and that the book seemed to be edited poorly. Well, at least I know now that it wasn't just me, but I wish I didn't waste my money on this book. You can even see that the left strap on the dress I made is thinner than the right even though I checked and double checked the pattern. Next time I try to find a pattern book I will make sure to read a few reviews first.


The next project I've been working on is a blanket using the crochet block patterns in this book, 200 Crochet Blocks, by Jan Eaton. I really like the examples and colors she shows in the book. They really inspire you to try them out. I did check up on this book and found a list of corrections here. I haven't checked my copy to see if they have been revised, but now I know where to go if they haven't, and I don't feel like I wasted my money.
Today I started my third endeavor, a pair of baby booties. I purchased a pattern from Kelly McCaleb's Etsy store. I've seen a lot of patterns out there for booties, however these booties seemed unique and more like little ballet slippers than booties. (Wow, I just said booties one too many times). I'll let you know how they turn out.

No comments: